Hey guys! Whew, it has been a busy week over here! I’m trying to get the bathroom renovations done at my house, Mom is having computer trouble at her place (a blogger’s nightmare) and the weekends seem much shorter for me during football season. Maybe I’ll get something done after the Super Bowl is over…
Speaking of the Super Bowl, who are your teams? Who do you see going all the way? Here in Atlanta, you know I have to cheer for my Falcons. They’re so close! If we can just get through playing the Packers next weekend, I definitely see some rings in our future.
Around here, everyone is holding off on planning Super Bowl parties until they’re sure they know who is going to be in the game, but I wanted to help y’all move in the right direction with a crowd-pleasing snack that you could have on game day: Cheese Straws!
Now, if you’ve never had cheese straws before, I’m just going to pray for you because you are missing out on a big part of life. If you have had them before, but only the kind from the store, you probably loved them (rightfully so) and have no idea what you’re missing out on by not going homemade. They’re delicious, crispy, have just the tiniest bit of spice… and they’re really nothing but cheese and butter and who doesn’t love that? I use my Aunt Susan’s recipe and they’re just perfect. Whip up a batch of cheese straws for your next gathering and I promise people will go crazy over them.
Onto the recipe!
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 sticks butter or margarine (I prefer butter) slightly soft
- 1 ½ lbs grated extra sharp Cheddar cheese and taken to room temp
- Mix butter and cheese well by hand.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, and cayenne pepper in small amounts and mix well.
- Using the ribbon tip of cookie press, press straws on to cookie sheets and bake at 350 over for 10-12 minutes or until light brown on the edges.
- Cool completely before storing.
Now, you’ll notice that this recipe calls for a cookie press… if you don’t have one yet, you should definitely consider buying one. They’re inexpensive and really come in handy for making beautiful treats!
These other munchies would also be great for a party!