This spicy shrimp and cucumber salad is fresh, light, and exactly what you need for these remaining dog days of summer!
If this post title looks familiar, don’t worry! You’re not going crazy… I have actually posted this recipe before, but if you haven’t gathered from the new site design, we’re cleaning things up around here. Mom’s photography has reached new heights and gets better every day (notice I didn’t mention my own photography- it’s progressing much slower) so we are trying to update old pictures that don’t do the recipes justice.
Okay, back to the food!
My dad has started a little garden at their house this year and the cucumbers are completely out of control. Now, we love cucumbers, don’t get me wrong. But we are having to get seriously creative lately. They’re getting sliced, pickled, muddled in cocktails, shredded into sauces… you name it!
This recipe was a tasty yet simple way to use up some of the latest cucumber harvest. First, you boil the shrimp for about 3 minutes with shrimp boil seasoning and red pepper flakes. Then, run cold water over them to stop the cooking process and peel them. Chop your cucumbers into bite-size pieces and toss them in a bowl with the shrimp.
The dressing combines lemon juice and olive oil with sriracha, cumin, garlic, and fresh mint. Combine well and pour over the shrimp and cukes. Enjoy!
- 1 lb shrimp, shell on
- shrimp boil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t sriracha
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil with shrimp boil seasoning and red pepper flakes. Boil shrimp for 3 minutes, then pour shrimp into a colander and let cold water run over them for 1-2 minutes. Drain well and peel the shrimp.
- Chop cucumbers into 1/2 inch pieces and put in large bowl with peeled shrimp.
- Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over shrimp and cucumbers. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
Check out our other light summer favorites!