If you’re anything like me, you like to sleep as late as is humanly possible during the work week. I hit snooze for an hour before finally getting up, rushing around for 20 minutes and running out the door. This doesn’t even leave time for eating breakfast, let alone cooking one. I needed something to grab quickly in the morning and I wanted it to be something savory, not sweet (you ever notice that? granola bars, yogurt… all sweet!). I also wanted it to be hearty enough to fill me up for a few hours, without a ton of calories. Breakfast Burritos!
I made these burritos on a Sunday afternoon in about an hour and had 10 hot, healthy breakfasts for the next couple weeks. How easy?!
I’ve been on a huge quinoa kick lately… I know I don’t have to tell you how good it is for you. But seriously. Super good for you. First, cook your quinoa according to the package directions and let it cool. Then, scramble up some eggs (I put chorizo in mine!) and let that cool.
Now, all you have to do is put them together! Put quinoa, eggs, black beans, corn, jalapenos, and monterey jack cheese inside each one and roll it up. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then place them in a ziploc freezer bag. I’ve found that when heating them up the best way to do it is to unwrap, put on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave on high for 1 minute, then flip, and add 1 more minute.
They worked out so well I can’t wait to make more! I wonder what other things I could put in these breakfast burritos… What do you think?
Make-Ahead Southwestern Breakfast Burritos with Quinoa
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- 10 eggs
- 8 oz. chorizo
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can corn, drained
- Pickled jalapenos optional
- 1 package burrito-sized whole wheat tortillas
- Cook crumbled chorizo in large skillet over MH heat.
- When chorizo is almost done (about 7 minutes), add eggs to pan. Scramble eggs with chorizo until desired doneness. Allow eggs to cool.
- In each tortilla, put 1-2 tablespoons of each ingredient. Roll up burritos and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place each burrito inside a freezer bag and freeze overnight.
- When ready to eat, unwrap and place on microwave safe plate. Heat on high for 1 minute, then flip and repeat.