This week I have been sick with a sore throat so when I went grocery shopping I knew I wanted to make spicy comfort foods that would be soothing on the throat. Why not tortellini soup? This was perfect to battle my cold… creamy, filling and with just enough kick.
I love one pot dishes and it’s so rare that I see dishes that truly only require one pot. Usually you get to some point in the recipe that says “now add the shredded chicken” or “throw in the caramelized onions”…. Well I’m going to need another pot to make that stuff now, aren’t I?
How to make tortellini soup:
First you heat some oil in a medium dutch oven (medium high worked for me) and throw in the sausage. I bought spicy Italian link sausage and removed the casings. Be sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
Then, add your onions and garlic and sautee them until tender (about 5 minutes).
Then, pour in your tomatoes, chicken broth, water, and season with basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and add your tortellinis. Cook until al-dente (6-8 minutes) and then lower heat to a simmer.
At this point I was thinking “hmm… looks a little thin. Maybe I shouldn’t have added the water…”
But then you add the cream and cheese.
Once you add those this soup turns into this rich, creamy, delicious masterpiece. Voila! Tortellini soup… yum!
Toss some croutons and an extra sprinkle of parmesean on there and you’re good to go!
One Pot Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage I used spicy!, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional- if you want some extra spice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup croutons optional
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook 3-5 minutes (until browned), crumbling as it cooks; drain excess fat. Add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minute (until tender).
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and stir in tortellini. Reduce heat and simmer until tortellini is cooked through (5-6 minutes).
- Stir in heavy cream and Parmesan until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with croutons, if desired.
Like what you see? Click here to get more Southern favorites delivered right to your inbox!