Southern Cornbread Dressing
It's easier than you think, and your family will love it.
- 1 large recipe cornbread (1.5 times a typical pan of cornbread)
- ¾ cup butter salted or unsalted
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Classic Stuffing
- 1-½ teaspoons salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
Crumble cornbread with your hands. No need to completely pulverize it, but don't leave any large pieces (see video).
Melt butter in skillet.
Saute' onions and celery in butter over medium heat until tender and partly translucent.
Stir all ingredients together, being careful not to overstir.
Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes
- Use your favorite cornbread recipe as long as it's not sweet. For a simple recipe refer to the post.
- Cornbread may be made in advance, cut up and frozen up to a month ahead of time. Thaw uncovered before crumbling. If cornbread is made right before dressing allow it to sit out and become stale.
- Crumble the cornbread - not enough to pulverize, but don't leave any large pieces either.
- Stock has the richest flavor.
- Adjust salt according to taste and whether salted or unsalted butter is used.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Do not overstir when mixing dressing ingredients.
Calories: 350kcalCarbohydrates: 42gProtein: 7gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 1123mgPotassium: 242mgFiber: 3gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 598IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 77mgIron: 2mg