Creole Cream Sauce
In just minutes you can have a flavorful Creole Cream Sauce ready. It is absolute perfection over fish, pasta, shrimp and even chicken.
- 2 Tablespoons butter salted or unsalted
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes drained lightly
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice juice of about ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
Melt butter in skillet over medium-low heat.
Add garlic and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
Add flour, and whisk until blended.
Add milk gradually, whisking until incorporated.
Add seasonings and stir.
Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
Add tomatoes and salt, and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in lime juice before serving.
- Half-and-half or 2% milk could be used as substitutes for whole milk
- Adjust salt according to taste, allowing for salted vs. unsalted butter and the saltiness of the Creole seasoning
- Fresh, diced tomatoes could be used, but approximately 10 additional minutes of simmering would need to be added
- Could be made in a pan with pan drippings from cooking a protein
- Fresh herbs could be used but about 3 times as much is needed
- If serving large entree servings you may only get 4-5 servings.
Calories: 112kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 4gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 313mgPotassium: 230mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 662IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 122mgIron: 1mg