These Flatbread Appetizers have a blend of flavors that is unique and delicious. Quick and easy to put together, you’ll pull it out of the oven in minutes, cut into appetizer-sized pieces, and have everyone asking for more.
Flatbread appetizers start out with Naan bread with creamy burrata cheese, then topped with proscuitto and pistachios. We highly recommend a light shake of red pepper flakes over the whole thing, but they can be left off if you have someone sensitive to spices.
Is Naan bread best for this flatbread?
We liked Naan bread best when developing the recipe. Naan is pretty substantial so it can hold up to be cut into thin appetizer-sized pieces. We do love Flatout Artisan Thin Pizza Crusts and we used those for our Greek Style Flatbread, but we cut that one in larger portions. Naan bread is what we used with our Lobster Flatbread and it turns out great.
If you want to make this recipe as a pizza-type meal and cut it into big pieces you could certainly go with something like the Flatout. However, we like it best as unique little flatbread appetizers, and Naan is best for that.
What about those pistachios?
Until a few years ago I never saw pistachios for sale that had been shelled. What an exciting discovery that was! We like the brand called Wonderful Pistachios and they truly live up to their name. They make a “wonderful” topping for these flatbread appetizers.
For this recipe we chopped them up, but not too finely. After a little trial an error, I discovered that the best method was to simply use a chef’s knife and a cutting board. By rocking the knife blade back and forth you can chop your pistachios without getting the pieces too small, and, if you’re careful, without having too many wayward pistachio pieces flying all over your kitchen.
Flatbread Appetizers with Pistachos and Burrata
- 1 Naan flatbread
- 3 ounces burrata cheese sliced
- 1.5-2 slices thinly sliced proscuitto cut into thin strips
- 2 Tablespoons shelled and roasted pistachios coarsley chopped
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Brush flatbread with olive oil and bake at 400 for 4-5 minutes.
- Top flatbread with cheese and proscuitto and bake at 400 for 7-8 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and top with pistachios, pressing lightly into cheese.
- Top with red pepper flakes and garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Cut into thin triangular strips or rectangles and serve as appetizers.
We have lots of appetizer recipes on Biscuits and Burlap. Here are a few favorites:
More Recipe Sources We Recommend: