Baked brie spread on crackers or fruit slices is a classic appetizer and this version has a sweet and salty twist that is sure to impress.
This recipe was originally written for and posted on Restless Chipotle
Fall is almost over and the winter holiday season is upon us! I don’t know about y’all, but over here our calendars are filling up fast. Its hard to find enough dishes to share that won’t take up too much time or be too boring (you think you have a tough time impressing people with your cooking, try being a food blogger… talk about high expectations!) at all the get-togethers. You’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t love melty baked brie cheese regardless of what you put on it, but when you top it with cinnamon apples and bacon? Perfection.
Okay, enough bragging. On to the recipe!
The easiest way to get crumbled bacon is to slice the bacon into thin strips while it’s still raw and then fry it up. When it’s done, set it aside, drain off the grease, and add butter to the pan. Once it’s good and melted, dice an apple (we like granny smith but use whatever you’ve got on hand) and toss it in. You with me so far? Bacon, butter, apples… really, how could this go wrong?
After a couple minutes, add in the cinnamon, brown sugar, and kosher salt to give it a salted caramel sort of glaze. Cook it for 2 more minutes and remove from heat.
The key to moving baked brie from the oven to a serving dish easily is putting it on parchment paper and keeping it there! Slice the top of the rind off the brie and move it (on the parchment paper) to a baking dish. Bake for 8-10 minutes. When its done, just take the whole baked brie, parchment paper and all, and move it onto a serving dish. Top with the apple mixture and then the bacon. Serve with toasted baguette, crackers, or apple slices.
Enjoy this and our Baked Brie with Pesto and Sundried Tomatoes any time you want an appetizer that’s easy, delicious and sure to impress everyone!
Baked Brie with Bacon and Apples
- Dice bacon and cook over medium heat until brown, about 7-8 minutes.
- Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add diced apples.
- Cook apples about 2 minutes and then add cinnamon, salt and brown sugar.
- Cook apples additional 2 minutes, or until tender.
- Slice rind off top of brie and place brie on parchment paper in baking pan.
- Bake brie in preheated 325 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Slide baked brie on parchment paper onto serving dish and top with apple mixture and then bacon.
- Surround brie with water crackers, baguette slices or other breads.
Looking for some other great appetizers for those holiday parties? Check out these:
Have you tried any of our recipes this holiday season? We would love to hear about it! Drop us a line in the comments below.