This recipe has always been in my personal recipe binder as “Mom’s Famous Chicken Sandwich.” I don’t remember what age I was when she started making them, but what I do know is that these sandwiches are divine.
The seasoning for the chicken sandwich
First of all, the seasoning on the chicken is perfect. I love anything with cumin, and the addition of cayenne and salt keeps it interesting without being complicated. The spices have become my go-to when cooking chicken to go on other sandwiches or salad.
The bread for the sandwich
I don’t know why I never think of onion rolls except when I make these chicken sandwiches. I don’t really like bread all that much (I know… I’m weird), but as far as grocery store bread goes, onion rolls are where it’s at.
But this sauce…. oh, this sauce. Creamy yogurt, mixed with just enough mayo to not make it entirely guilt-free, spicy, crunchy jalapenos, and tangy cilantro and lime juice. It’s so delicious. I always make way too much for the chicken sandwiches and save the extra to use as veggie dip, salad dressing, etc… Seriously addictive.
Are you getting our weekly newsletters? That’s the easiest way to make sure you don’t miss any recipes, and you can sign up right here. We promise to treat you like family.
Sides for the chicken sandwich
You could stick with something traditional like Homemade Fries and these have a fun Creole Aioli. Or, how about a side that’s cool and light like Watermelon Salad? My mouth waters just thinking about it.
If it’s cooler weather, I think a soup with a big flavor punch would be awesome with one of these sandwiches. Roasted Poblano and Corn Chowder sounds perfect, or you can just search “soups” at the top right. We have lots to choose from.
Spicy Chicken Sandwich with Jalapeno-Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- Combine salt, cayenne, and cumin. Sprinkle evenly on chicken. Heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken until golden brown (about 7 – 8 minutes on each side).
- While chicken is cooking, combine yogurt, mayo, salt, lime juice, garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro. Combine well and spread on toasted buns.
- Add chicken, a handful of baby spinach, and enjoy! (Yield 4 sandwiches)
Tools we use for making these chicken sandwiches and think you’ll love:
- Our favorite for squeezing citrus (in this case for the freshly squeezed lime juice)
- Everyone in our family now has these herb scissors and swears by them.
- Cast iron skillet. If you don’t have one you really need to get on board.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too…
More recipe sources we recommend:
Meal Plan Monday