Everybody loves grilled fish tacos with their favorites toppings, especially flavorful Baja Sauce. A low carb option makes this recipe perfect for everyone at your table.
Begin with grilled fish
Instead of typical fried fish these tacos start out with healthy grilled fish. They're coated with a spice blend that adds extra flavor starting at the bottom of the taco.
Any type of firm fish will be great. We like mahi mahi, but grouper or red snapper would be good too. Just keep in mind that when grilling you want to use a thicker piece of fish for easy handling.
If you love grilled fish and other types of seafood you'll want to check this out. It's a whole collection of seafood recipes just for grilling.
Don't have a grill? This fish could easily be cooked in a skillet that you have sprayed. Depending on the thickness it will need about 3-4 minutes over medium to medium-high heat per side.
How to make a low carb version of grilled fish tacos
Just turn them into lettuce wraps!
Substitute lettuce for the tortillas. Here we used a Bibb lettuce, which made fairly small wraps. But you could use any lettuce with a full leaf - romaine or iceberg are always good for wraps. If you're a fan of lettuce wraps, you'll want to check out Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps. They have a secret ingedient that keeps the chicken tender.
Yet another Mexican-inspired recipe you'll want to check if you're watching your carb intake is Low Carb Enchiladas. They check all the boxes and can be made with Mexican style shredded beef cooked in the crock pot.
Now here's where you can get creative and please everyone in your house.
Our favorites, and what you see here are shredded cabbage, cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, salsa, tomatoes, Monterey Jack cheese and lime wedges to squeeze on the fish.
Oh, and the Baja Sauce. It's is so easy to make and just takes these grilled fish tacos soaring to new heights! If you love sauce like we do, you'll want to check out these 10 Best Sauces for Fish.
Additional topping ideas:
- sour cream, or crema
- black beans
- corn (it's great sprinkled with chili powder and tossed in a hot skillet)
- fresh jalapenos
- Creamy Poblano Sauce
Drop us a note in the comments below if you come up with more topping ideas. We always love finding something new to try. If you want to add even more variety to these tacos you could make these grilled shrimp skewers and toss a few shrimp on. Still healthy and yummy.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on an affiliate link and buy something, we may receive a very small commission. It does NOT result in additional charges to you or cost you anything extra. Click here for our full privacy and disclosure policy. As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A few items you might need (or want) for making grilled fish tacos:
- Our favorite citrus juice for squeezing the limes
- taco stands are a must-have when using soft flour tortillas
- grill basket for grilling fish makes it so much easier
For the perfect side dish to go with your tacos try Spicy Mexican Rice. It's like what you get in your favorite restaurant - only better! Add a Pineapple Agua Fresca and you've got the perfect meal for taco tuesday!
Fish Tacos with Baja Sauce
For the Fish
- 12 ounces fish filets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 6-8 flour tortillas or lettuce leaves
For the Baja Sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha Sauce
- 4-5 slices pickled jalapeno diced
- 1-2 squeezes fresh lime
For the Fish
- Pat fish filets dry with paper towel.
- Mix all seasoning ingredients and pat on both sides of fish filets.
- Grill on oiled basket or grates for 3-4 minutes per side, or until done.
- Flake with a fork.
For the Baja Sauce
- Blend all ingredients.
- Refrigerate until needed.
For the Tacos
- Fill tortilla or lettuce leaf with 1.5-2 ounces flaked fish.
- Squeeze additional lime juice over fish, if desired.
- Top with additional toppings as desired. Queso Fresco crumbles, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, jalapenos, grated cheese, shredded cabbage or lettuce, etc.