This Blueberry Crumb Cake with Cream Cheese will become your go-to recipe for breakfast, brunch or dessert. Simple ingredients mean you can make it anytime you like.
Why we love this crumb cake:
- It makes a great use of fresh blueberries, available year round these days
- It is made with pure and simple ingredients, most of which, if not all, you will already have on hand
- This Blueberry Crumb Cake is extremely versatile, being perfect for breakfast, brunch, dessert or snacking
- It has blueberries and cream cheese!
Tips for making a perfect blueberry crumb cake every time
- Tossing the blueberries in a small amount of flour ensures that they don’t sink.
- Room temperature cream cheese always blends more easily with other ingredients.
- Cold butter cut into smaller pieces makes the crumb topping easiest to blend.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, try substituting either milk and white vinegar or milk and lemon juice. (the milk/lemon juice combination was voted as best by Southern Living).
To make sure you get notified of our new recipes you’ll want to sign up here. We promise never to share your information with a third party.
First of all, this blueberry crumb cake is absolutely delicious just as it is with no topping. We did include chopped pecans (optional, of course) in the crumb topping because we love pecans.
A great big old dollop of homemade whipped cream is a fabulous topping of course. And, if you want to make it totally decadent, a scoop of vanilla ice cream would do the trick.
THIS RECIPE MADE OUR “BEST OF THE YEAR” LIST. THE OTHERS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
Blueberry Crumb Cake with Cream Cheese
For the Cake
For the Cream Cheese Filling
For the Cake:
- Cream butter and sugar together in medium sized bowl. Add egg and mix well.
- Blend 1½ cups flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl.
- Toss blueberries in 2 teaspoons of flour in small bowl.
- Alternate adding and blending the flour mixture with the buttermilk into the egg mixture until well blended.
- Gently fold in blueberries and pecans, if desired.
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
For the Topping
- Blend sugars and flour together. Cut butter in with a pastry blender or two knives.
Assemble and Bake
- Spread cake batter in a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan which has been greased and floured, or sprayed with baking spray like Bakers Joy.
- Spread cream cheese filling mixture on top.
- Sprinkle, or crumble crumb topping over cream cheese mixture.
- Bake 40-50 minutes in a 350 degree (F) oven. May be served warm, room temperature or cold.
A note about the blueberry crumb cake
The crumb topping will not be dry and crumbly on this cake as it is spread over the cream cheese filling. It makes more of a moist, crusty top that we think you will love!
If you make this or any of our recipes we’d love for you to leave us a comment and star rating. If you’re into sharing your creations, snap a photo and tag us when you post it to Facebook or Instagram.