This Blueberry Crumb Cake with Cream Cheese will become your go-to recipe for breakfast, brunch or dessert. Simple ingredients mean you can make it anytime you like.
Why we love this crumb cake:
- Like Brioche French Toast Casserole, it makes a great use of fresh blueberries, available year round these days
- It is made with pure and simple ingredients, most of which, if not all, you will already have on hand
- This Blueberry Crumb Cake is extremely versatile, being perfect for breakfast, brunch, dessert or snacking
- It has blueberries and cream cheese!
Tips for making a perfect blueberry crumb cake every time
- Tossing the blueberries in a small amount of flour ensures that they don’t sink.
- Room temperature cream cheese always blends more easily with other ingredients.
- Cold butter cut into smaller pieces makes the crumb topping easiest to blend. You can also freeze the butter and grate it for fun shortcut!
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand use the substitute formula recommended in our 3 Ingredient Buttermilk Biscuit post. It’s our top recipe!
First of all, this blueberry crumb cake is absolutely delicious just as it is with no topping. We did include chopped pecans (optional, of course) in the crumb topping because we love pecans.
A great big old dollop of homemade whipped cream is a fabulous topping of course. And, if you want to make it totally decadent, a scoop of vanilla ice cream would do the trick.
THIS RECIPE MADE OUR “BEST OF THE YEAR” LIST. THE OTHERS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
Blueberry Crumb Cake with Cream Cheese
For the Cake
For the Cream Cheese Filling
For the Cake:
- Cream butter and sugar together in medium sized bowl. Add egg and mix well.
- Blend 1½ cups flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl.
- Toss blueberries in 2 teaspoons of flour in small bowl.
- Alternate adding and blending the flour mixture with the buttermilk into the egg mixture until well blended.
- Gently fold in blueberries and pecans, if desired.
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
For the Topping
- Blend sugars and flour together. Cut butter in with a pastry blender or toss with butter that has been frozen and then grated.
Assemble and Bake
- Spread cake batter in a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan which has been greased and floured, or sprayed with baking spray like Bakers Joy.
- Spread cream cheese filling mixture on top.
- Sprinkle, or crumble crumb topping over cream cheese mixture.
- Bake 40-50 minutes in a 350 degree (F) oven. May be served warm, room temperature or cold.
A note about the blueberry crumb cake
The topping makes a moist, crusty top that we think you will love as opposed to dry crumbly topping on some “crumb” cakes.
If you make this or any of our recipes we’d love for you to leave us a comment and star rating. If you’re into sharing your creations, snap a photo and tag us when you post it to Facebook or Instagram.