Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Carrots with Dried Cherries are a dream of a side dish. The flavors complement each other beautifully making the combination far more interesting than any of the ingredients would be on their own.
Roasted brussel sprouts are nothing like the boiled ones you remember from your childhood. Roasting brings out an earthy, almost nutty flavor that will make fans out of even those who think they don’t like brussel sprouts.
Now, when you look at the recipe and see cane syrup listed an ingredient, don’t be alarmed. We have a family event every year between Christmas and New Years where sugar cane is pressed and the juice cooked to make a delicious syrup. If southern food events like that interest you, you’ll want to read all about it here. But, don’t worry. If you don’t have cane syrup available, you can substitute maple syrup, molasses, or even honey.
Tips for making roasted brussel sprouts
First of all you’ll want to cut off the brown stem end of the sprouts, and then remove a few of the outer leaves. The final step in prepping is to cut them in half.
A few more tips:
- Be sure to toss the brussel sprouts in the liquid in a bowl. That ensures they’re thoroughly coated for even browning.
- Place them cut side down in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Test for tenderness by piercing with a fork at the minimum cook time. Brusell sprouts can vary in size and that will affect cook time.
- We like to line our pan with parchment paper for easy clean up.
If you’re crazy about roasting vegetables like we are you will want to check out our roasted asparagus recipe. It’s simple and easy, but the asparagus gets an extra punch of flavor from two add ins.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Carrots with Dried Cherries
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Add brussel sprouts and carrots and toss until coated.
- Transfer brussel sprouts and carrots to a greased baking pan, or one lined with parchment paper. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until vegetable are tender and lightly charred.
- Remove from oven and transfer to serving bowl. Mix in dried cherries and serve!
More Recipes to Try:
More recipe sources we recommend: