Shrimp in a buttery sofrito sauce is simple to make. Served over a thick slice of toasted sourdough bread, you’ll want extra bread to get every last drop of the mouthwatering sauce.
This sofrito shrimp actually uses a few other ingredients and jarred sofrito sauce, making it super easy to put together. It’s special enough for company, but simple enough for a family weeknight meal.
Inspiration for the recipe:
The basis of this recipe came from one of our favorite magazines, Garden & Gun. The article and recipe was about clams, and comes from Chef Daniel Chance at Watchman’s Seafood and Spirits in Atlanta.
He hopes southerners will come to love clams as much as they do oysters (read here about oyster farming in the south) and he came up with this recipe to help that cause.
We love clams ourselves, but switched things up to take advantage of that scrumptious sauce, and serve it with a seafood that can be picked up at your neighborhood grocery. Chef Daniel’s statement about the sauce “you will want to bathe in it” told us all we needed to know.
How we kept this Sofrito Shrimp recipe quick and easy:
- Shrimp are quite delicate and cook very quickly, so that cuts down on the time needed.
- We used Sofrito sauce from a jar. Click over here to order yours.
- Culantro is not usually available at our local markets, so we used all cilantro.
- If possible, we love to do some advance prep. We sliced the sour dough, squeezed the lemons, and made the Maitre d’ Butter ahead.
A few items for making perfect Sofrito Shrimp
- Iron Skillet – this link takes you to a page of 10 and 12 inch choices
- Prepared Sofrito Sauce
- Our favorite citrus juicer
- Herb Shears (these are so great!)
- Shrimp Cleaning Tool
Y’all dig right into the recipe, and, even though you’ll want to bathe in the sauce – don’t!
For the complete lowdown on Southern Food you’ll want to read this.
Shrimp with Buttery Sofrito Sauce
For the Shrimp
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup sofrito sauce
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup sweet vermouth
- 1-1/2 cup chicken or fish stock
- 2-4 slices sour dough bread toasted
- Maitre d' Butter recipe follows
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Maitre d' Butter
- Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.
For the Shrimp
- Pour oil in 10-12 inch skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sofrito, garlic, and tomatoes. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp, and cook until shrimp are done (pink) - about 2 minutes, depending on size of shrimp. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add vermouth and stock and bring to a boil. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Place toast in dish (like a rim soup or pasta bowl) and top with shrimp.
- Turn heat to high and reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and stir in butter, hot sauce, and lemon juice. Allow sauce to thicken slightly, stirring occasionally for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle sauce over shrimp and toast.
Let us know if you make this recipe. We love keeping up with what y’all are up to.