She-crab soup is a classic low country dish with a rich, creamy base. Our recipe has a special trick for making sure every bowl gets plenty of delicious, lump crab meat.
If you live in the South like me, it might not feel like it, but it’s true… Fall is here, y’all! I can think of no better way to usher in the cooler weather than with a nice creamy soup and she-crab soup is a favorite of mine. If you’re not familiar, it’s a soup traditionally made in the South Carolina Lowcountry, Tidewater, Virginia, and Georgia coast.
Similar to a bisque, old school she-crab soup has heavy cream, seafood stock, crab meat, crab roe, and a sprinkling of dry sherry. The roe is where it gets it’s name, “she-crab” referring to the female crabs that produce the roe.
Over the years, the ingredients have changed a bit according to people’s taste and this is not exactly the traditional recipe. Mostly because, well… I don’t do roe. Sorry, y’all! Not on my sushi, not in my soup, and not anywhere else people put roe. If you really want to add it in, feel free. I won’t judge.
Another way I changed this from the traditional recipe is what results in that beautiful pile of lump crab meat in the middle of the bowl. Instead of sprinkling the sherry over the top, I actually reserved half of the crab and combined it with the sherry and put a generous serving of it right in the center of each bowl of soup. I’m telling you, it is definitely the way to go!
Love soup and salad? This Salad with Marinated Asparagus and Oranges pairs beautifully with the She Crab Soup. Check it out!
Without further ado, on to the recipe! Be sure to comment below to tell us what you think and put a photo of your she-crab soup on Instagram and tag us @biscuitsandburlap!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. To see our full disclosure, please click here.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups seafood stock
- 2 cups heavy cream set out for a few minutes to prevent curdling when added to hot stock
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 lb lump crab meat picked through and divided
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Melt butter of medium heat in large stock pot. Cook onion until soft (about 3 mins)
- Add flour and combine to make roux.
- Add seafood stock to roux. Reduce to low heat and stir until thickened (about 5 mins)
- Add cream and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add next 5 ingredients, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/2 of the crab. Simmer 5 mins.
- Combine remaining crab meat, salt, and sherry in a small bowl. When you divide the soup into individual bowls, top with a scoop of the crab mixture in the center of the bowl.
This recipe made our top 10 of 2018. Click over here to see them all.
A few items you may need for your She-Crab Soup:
Love seafood? Check out these other posts!
Other Recipe Resources that we recommend: