Easy chicken vegetable soup with a southern twist uses a seasoning blend available at most stores. Make it with leftover chicken or rotisserie style.
What makes this soup southern?
If you’ve made our Vegetable Beef Soup you know all about adding okra to soup. If you or yours don’t like it, please hear us out.
What most folks dislike about okra is the slime. But, in our soups it is cooked past the point of being slimy. In fact, that very characteristic is what gives the soup “body”.
When I was a girl growing up and learning to cook, a friend’s mother explained this to me and I’ve been adding okra to soup all these years with wonderful success.
Ever wonder where okra actually came from? Learn that and more about our favorite cuisine in Southern Food: Then & Now.
Our Italian Sausage Soup with Vegetables has a different addition that makes it southern style. Keep in mind that it can be made healthy by using turkey sausage and you’ll have another family favorite.
Versatility makes this Chicken Vegetable Soup a keeper
If you’ve been around here long you know that we love a versatile recipe. In fact, that’s the way a lot of new recipes are born, right?
Don’t have carrots, but do have lima beans? No problem. Have fresh tomatoes instead of canned? All the better! You get the drift. We give you the basics and our recommendations and you take it from there.
Are you getting our weekly newsletters? That’s the easiest way to make sure you don’t miss any recipes, and you can sign up right here. We promise to treat you like family.
If you don’t have chicken stock but you do have broth your soup is still going to be delicious. But, we always try to use stock if possible. If you don’t know the difference, we’ve explained it in the post on how to make beef stock.
That special seasoning blend
Have you guess what it is yet? We wanted to keep this chicken vegetable soup simple, quick and easy to put together. It gets perfectly seasoned without pulling out a ton of spice jars by using Ranch Dressing Mix.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on an affiliate link and buy something, we may receive a very small commission. It does NOT result in additional charges to you or cost you anything extra. Click here for our full privacy and disclosure policy. As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Of course, it’s readily available at pretty much any grocery or market, but if you’re currently doing a lot of Amazon ordering you can get it here.
Chicken Vegetable Soup: Southern Style
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2-1 ounce Ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup okra slices fresh or frozen
- 1 cup carrot slices
- 1 cup diced potatoes optional
- 4-5 cups chicken stock, divided (approximate amount)
- 11 ounce can whole kernel corn
- 14.5 ounce can cut green beans
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Sautee' onions and celery in oil over medium heat until tender.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with Ranch dressing mix. Stir to coat chicken.
- Add okra, carrots, potatoes (optional) and enough stock to cover ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer (covered) 10-15 minutes or until okra and carrots are tender.
- Add corn, green beans, tomatoes, salt and pepper and remaining stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer 10 minutes.