This recipe for Cajun style grilled chicken wings turns out crispy wings that are full of flavor, but only as spicy as you like. Delicious straight off the grill, they get even better after being bathed in a Cajun butter sauce.
Cajun does not always mean spicy
We love Cajun food, and the closely related Creole cuisine, but it is often misunderstood. While it’s true that many of the foods from that region are downright hot, they are not always. Flavorful? Yes. But not always spicy.
In fact, our all time favorite spice blend is Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning. The list of recipes we use it in is long and distinguished, with the reader favorites being Shrimp & Grits, Cajun Crab Dip and Fried Green Tomatoes. But “Tony C” as we call it, is not really hot at all on its own.
Many times we kick our recipes up with some cayenne pepper or a good potent hot sauce, but you can always leave that part out.
If you love all things Cajun like we do you’ll want to check out our recipe for Easy Shrimp Etouffee.
The wings as you see them here are straight off the grill in all their crispy, delicious glory with no sauce added. We like to leave a few just like this for anyone who loves just the flavor without the kick.
For a good look at southern cuisines you’ll want to check this out: Southern Food Then & Now debunks a few other myths.
Grilled Cajun Wings are the ultimate tailgate food
If you’re a big fan of football tailgate parties in the fall (who isn’t?) then you’ll want this Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe in your arsenal. Why?
- They are the most flavorful and crispy if allowed to sit in the fridge overnight in the seasoning before grilling. This makes these wings perfect for tossing on the grill after you get to a tailgate party.
- The Cajun Butter Sauce can also be made the night before. Then put it in a heatproof dish on the corner of your grill to melt while the wings cook.
- They can cook more slowly if you’re grilling something else low and slow, or quickly if you have less time or a hot grill.
- This one recipe, as mentioned above, produces two different type wings – a dryer, less spicy version and the wet, spicy, ultimate Cajun wings with the butter sauce.
- They go great with beer.
- Everyone is going to love them!
- You can make a batch of classic Hurricane cocktails and get that true New Orleans experience.
Are you getting our weekly newsletters? That’s the easiest way to make sure you don’t miss any recipes, and you can sign up right here. We promise to treat you like family.
Pro tips for getting crispy grilled chicken wings:
- Wash and thoroughly dry the wings before you season them.
- The secret ingredient is the baking powder. If you want crispy wings without frying don’t leave out the baking powder – it’s essential.
- Spending overnight in the fridge after seasoning really helps, but if you don’t have time for that your wings are still going to be awesome.
THIS RECIPE MADE OUR “BEST OF THE YEAR” LIST. THE OTHERS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe: Cajun Style
For the Wings
For the Wings
- Wash and thoroughly dry the wings.
- Blend the Cajun seasoning, herbs and baking powder together and sprinkle evenly over wings.
- Lay in single layer on pan and loosely cover, then refrigerator overnight if possible.
- Cook on grill until juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Rotate and turn wings as they cook to evenly brown all wings on all sides.
- Toss in melted Cajun Butter Sauce if desired before serving.
For the Cajun Butter Sauce
- Blend all ingredients together.
- Refrigerate overnight or keep warm on grill or stove top until wings are done.
If you make this or any of our recipes we’d love for you to leave us a comment and star rating. If you’re into sharing your creations, snap a photo and tag us when you post it to Facebook or Instagram.