This mouthwatering chicken with asparagus and pasta has a creamy, Cajun seasoned sauce and comes together easily.
This chicken with asparagus and pasta is a hearty dinner on its own. It’s all tossed together with a creamy parmesan sauce and your family will think they’ve died and gone to heaven with the first bite. If you love chicken and love one dish meals you should also try Citrus Rosemary Chicken.
Did you know that it’s not necessary to cook asparagus separately when adding it to a pasta dish? It can easily be tossed in with pasta the last couple of minutes and save a dish.
In fact, if you use the fresh type pasta that comes from the refrigerator section it cooks in just a few minutes too. Quick, easy, hearty, delicious. What more can you ask?
Y’all know that we love our Cajun seasoning. Recently we’ve used it in Gouda Grits with Cajun Spice, Homemade French Fries with Creole Aioli and Crab Cakes with Cajun Cream Sauce. A lot of people have the idea that anything labelled “Cajun” or “Creole” is going to have a kick of hot, but that’s not necessarily so.
Our favorite, Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning, just adds an interesting layer of flavor. You can certainly kick up the heat with a shake of cayenne if you like, but without it, the flavors are pretty subtle.
Finish this meal off with Iron Skillet Hot Fudge Pudding Cake and you’ll go to bed happy.
In keeping with our “use-what-you-have-on-hand” philosophy we offer these ideas for substitutions. We never want you to feel that you can’t try a recipe because you don’t have an exact ingredient. Many times there is something in your pantry or fridge that will work just fine.
Ingredient Substitutions for Chicken with Asparagus and Pasta
- Bone-in thighs or other chicken pieces would actually be great instead of boneless breast.
- whole milk, or even low fat milk instead of half and half is cool.
- No asparagus? How about green beans? If fresh, you’ll want to cook them a few more minutes than the asparagus, but they’ll still be yummy.
- Any pasta is just fine. We like a fresh linguine or fettuccine, but if all you have is a dry pasta or another fresh pasta, don’t let that stop you from making this delicious meal.
Chicken with Asparagus and Pasta
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 15 stalks asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 6-8 ounces fresh pasta
- Salt and pepper chicken to taste.
- Cook chicken in olive oil over medium to medium-high heat until cooked through – about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside.
- Melt butter in same skillet chicken was cooked in over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and whisk in flour.
- Slowly add half and half and water, whisking to incorporate flour from bottom of pan.
- Cook until sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add parmesan cheese and seasoning and stir until cheese melts.
- Add chicken (cut into strips) to sauce and stir to coat.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add pasta to water and cook according to package directions, adding asparagus pieces when there are two minutes left for the pasta.
- Drain pasta and asparagus and gently toss in chicken and sauce.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes, fresh herbs and/or cracked black pepper.
Love chicken? Then you’ll also love Italian Style Chicken with Creamy Pan Sauce.
You’ll Love These Recipes too:
See y’all next time.