Delicious and easy to make, this carrot cake cupcake recipe has been adapted to make mini cupcakes. Your favorite sweet treat can now be made into the small bite version so many people love these days.
Where we got the recipe:
A while back we were asked to review a cookbook exclusively on cupcakes and we fell in love!
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on an affiliate link and buy something, we may receive a very small commission. It does NOT result in additional charges to you or cost you anything extra. Click here for our full privacy and disclosure policy. As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Deliciously Easy Cupcake Cookbook by Jesseca Hallows is full of tips, beautiful photos and great recipes ranging from the basics to fun grown up flavors. We couldn’t resist picking one to make into mini cupcakes, but choosing was the hard part. After lots of deliberation (and Sara voting) Carrot Cake Cupcakes won out.
We knew that making these carrot cake cupcakes with applesauce would keep them nice and moist.
Converting the Recipe to Mini Carrot Cake Cupcakes:
We used the exact ingredient list from the book, and only changed the cooking time.
Figure on getting approximately three times the number of mini cupcakes as the recipes says you will get full sized. For instance, Jesseca’s recipe for these carrot cake cupcakes says it will yield 24, but in the mini version you should get 72.
That sounds like a lot, but you could easily halve the recipe, which would be 12 full size cupcakes or 36 minis. Keep in mind these babies are about two bites, making them perfect for those who enjoy something sweet, but want to keep it small. Our Key Lime Cupcake mini’s are specifically developed to be a small batch – just right for a gathering of 8-12.
Making your carrot cake cupcakes pretty is so easy
The ones you see above were baked in plain white mini muffin cups and then later set in orange ones. We love this variety pack of baking cups from Montopack. It has lots of fun colors.
If you haven’t tried piping icing before it’s easier than you think. Just use disposable bags like these and whatever tip you choose. I used the Wilton 1-M tip. Check Youtube for tons of easy tutorials.
Sprinkles are the crowning touch. Again, we love a variety pack and the ones we used came from ChocoMaker Celebration Mix.
How to make candied carrot shavings
Just for fun we decided to try this and that’s what you see in addition to the sprinkles on these cupcakes.
- Make a sugar and water mixture in a small sauce pan with a one to one ratio.
- Grate about 2-3 Tablespoons of carrots and stir them in.
- Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Spread grated carrots on parchment paper and bake at 300 for about 10-12 minutes.
- After cooling, break the chunks apart into small individual pieces.
Tips for making the best carrot cake cupcakes:
- Use a cookie scoop to get even amounts of batter into each muffin cup. They need to be about 2/3-3/4 full.
- Watch them carefully in the oven. Since mini cupcakes are so small they will cook quickly and can go from done to overdone in no time.
- Let your carrot cake cupcakes cool in the muffin tin only about 3-4 minutes and then remove them and place on a rack.
- Grate your own carrots. The pre-grated ones at the store are a bit too thick for mini cupcakes.
Frosting for Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Frosting is traditional on carrot cake and we used our own tried and true recipe, though there is one in the cookbook (The Deliciously Easy Cupcake Cookbook).
For a fun change our Brown Sugar Frosting with Cinnamon would be awesome too!
Are you getting our weekly newsletters? That’s the easiest way to make sure you don’t miss any recipes, and you can sign up right here. We promise to treat you like family.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes – Mini Size
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 72 mini muffin tins with paper liners. (easiest to make 36 at a time)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the eggs, oil applesauce, sugars and vanilla. Whisk until smooth
- Fold in the carrots.
- Evenly divide the batter among the lined cups filling each cup 2/3-3/4 full.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool 4-5 minutes in pan before removing and placing on a wire rack to complete cooling.
- Frost cupcakes when completely cool.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine cream cheese and butter with mixer at medium speed 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and 4 cups powdered sugar mixing until well combined.
- Add additional sugar 2 Tablespoons at the time, if needed to reach desired consistency.
If you make this or any of our recipes we’d love for you to leave us a comment and star rating. If you’re into sharing your creations, snap a photo and tag us when you post it to Facebook or Instagram.
More Recipes Sources We Recommend:
Meal Plan Monday