Apple Cider Coffee Cake is moist and sweet with a pretty glaze. It stirs up in just minutes, and is perfect with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
Apple Cider Coffee Cake is made moist with the addition of grated apples as well as mayonnaise. If you love nuts like we do, they can be added to the cake and sprinkled on top of the glaze. Easy is the middle name of this coffee cake, as we used mayonnaise in place of eggs and oil.
Why use mayonnaise in our coffee cake?
Many of you may remember Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. It was popular in the 1960’s and 70’s and the reasons why still make sense today. Using mayonnaise means you don’t need to have oil and eggs on hand, it results in a supremely moist cake, and maybe best of all – it’s easy!
Blue Plate Mayonnaise has the pure ingredients you want in your cake, or anything you make for that matter. Did you know this? They were Voted #1 Mayonnaise by Epicurious.
There are really tons of other ways to use mayonnaise in your cooking. Don’t just spread it on a sandwich! Find recipes using Blue Plate Mayonnaise here
This coffee cake has a great apple taste!
We used reduced apple cider and grated apples to give it a rich apple taste and moist texture. Grating the apples not only contributes to the moistness, but distributes the apple flavor more evenly through every bite. Grating also eliminates the possibility of any chunks of apple that don’t get cooked thoroughly.
Apple cider is definitely the way to go if you can get it, and reducing it intensifies the flavor. If cider isn’t available yet in your area, you can certainly use apple juice. We use cider as the liquid in the glaze as well, and it gives a subtle hint of apple there, too.
Apple Cider Coffee Cake
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup apple cider reduced to 1/2 cup over medium heat
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking sode
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups grated apples recommend tart, firm apple like Granny Smith
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter room temperature
- 3-4 Tablespoons apple cider
- Mix all ingredients through vanilla in a large bowl with mixer at medium-low speed until well blended.
- Stir in apples and 3/4 cup pecans (if desired) with a large spoon until well blended.
- Bake in 10 inch bundt pan (prepared with cooking spray) at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes and then flip onto serving plate.
- Whisk powdered sugar, softened butter and 3 Tablespoons apple cider until smooth. Add additional Tablespoon of cider if needed to reach pouring consistency.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chopped pecans if desired.
A few items you’ll need to make Apple Cider Coffee Cake:
- A box grater like this is the easiest way to grate apples
- A mini chopper like this is how we like to chop nuts
- A 10 inch bundt pan
- Our favorite non-stick spray for baking
If you haven’t already signed up to get our weekly newsletters you can do that right here. A new recipe is featured every Friday.
When doing your shopping be sure to look for Blue Plate Mayonnaise. Keep in mind that it’s a family owned business and they’ve been making their mayonnaise from the same recipe since 1927. We like that! Find the product near you.
A few more apple recipes:
- Fall Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
- Apple Crisp with Cranberries
- Baked Brie with Apples & Bacon
- Apple Pecan Cheesecake
We know you’re just going to love this Apple Cider Coffee Cake. Be sure to snap a shot of yours and tag us on Facebook or Instagram. We love seeing what you’re up to.