Super easy coconut tarts have a creamy filling made from just a few ingredients. Toasted coconut garnish makes these mini desserts as beautiful as they are delicious.
The coconut lovers in your midst will be singing praises over these super easy bite sized sweet treats. As you rake in the compliments over how beautiful and tasty they are you can keep this secret: They’re easy – like super simple, just a few ingredients, made in minutes, easy.
The benefits of mini desserts
We love bite sized sweets and find that most everyone else does too. Besides that, here are a few reasons you’ll want them in your dessert arsenal.
- The mini size means they’re also small in terms of calories.
- You’re not locked into one flavor if you offer a selection of small bite sweets. See below for other suggestions.
- They’re self serve making them perfect for a buffet.
- Your guests will appreciate your thoughtfulness at not presenting them with a huge, rich dessert that they feel obligated to eat.
- The small size means they’re easy to garnish and make beautiful.
What type of tart shells are best for coconut tartlets?
We love mini phyllo shells, found in the freezer section of your grocery. We’ve used them in savory items, like super easy Pimento Cheese Appetizers as well as sweet ones. This coconut filling will make enough for 25-30 of the mini’s made in the phyllo shells.
You could also make an easy tart shell in a mini muffin tin similar to what we’ve done in our Cheese Tartlets. The difference is you would need to bake and cool the shells first since this is a no bake filling.
You could also make completely homemade mini tart shells if that’s your thing. Of course, the number of coconut tarts you’ll end up with is going to vary with the size of your shells.
More mini desserts that would be great on a tray with coconut tarts
- Strawberry Shortcake Shots (equally pretty and uber easy)
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes
- Lemon Tarts with Cheesecake Layer
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Small Bites
- Key Lime Cupcakes: Mini Sized
- Mini Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Here’s how to make them
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on an affiliate link and buy something, we may receive a very small commission. It does NOT result in additional charges to you or cost you anything extra. Click here for our full privacy and disclosure policy. As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
- Prepare your tart shells. If using the phyllo shells like we did they’ll need just a few minutes in the oven to crisp. Follow the directions on the package.
- Chill the bowl and beaters that you’ll use for making the whipped cream.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Toast the coconut for garnishing. Below is our preferred method.
- Cream the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add extract and coconut milk and blend well.
- Whip the heavy whipped cream and fold it into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pipe the mixture into the tart shells using a baggie with a corner cut off or a pastry bag.
- Garnish with toasted coconut and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Our favorite way to make toasted coconut
Heat coconut in a small skillet over medium heat stirring constantly until it’s golden brown. You can toast coconut in the oven or under a broiler, but we find you have the most control if you make it like this.
For the most coconut flavor
For the most intense flavor use coconut extract, widely available in most grocery stores. If you prefer to use vanilla extract it will still be great – the flavor will just be a little more mild.
FAQ’s about coconut tarts
We like to make them no more than two days in advance of serving. Beyond that the shells can get soft and not be as crispy.
Yes! Coconut cream is denser (thicker) because it has a higher fat content. We only tested this recipe using coconut milk and therefore cannot guarantee what kind of results you would get with coconut cream.
That will depend on what else you are offering for dessert. If the the tartlets are all you’ll have I would plan on about 4 per person, though most people won’t eat more than 2 or 3. If you have a bigger selection plan according to how many more choices there are.
We have not tested freezing them. However, we have frozen our Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes (with a similar ingredient list) and they were great! In fact, they made a delicious frozen treat and they were excellent after thawing.
Easy Coconut Tarts: Bite Sized
- Cream sugar and cream cheese until well blended. Add extract and coconut milk and blend well.
- Gently fold in whipped cream.
- Chill mixture for 25-30 minutes.
- Pipe into prepared tart shells and top with toasted coconut.
- Chill until ready to serve.
To make sure you get notified of our new recipes you’ll want to sign up here. We promise never to share your information with a third party.