Pimento Cheese Appetizers are super simple to put together and will be the first thing to go at any gathering. Use homemade pimento cheese or a good-quality store bought variety, along with phyllo shells, and you'll have bite sized treats that everyone will love.
Nothing could be easier, or more impressive than these pimento cheese filled treats topped with a few bacon bits and some garnish. Pop them in the oven for just minutes and then serve warm on a tray or platter. I like to plan at least 3 per person because everyone will be asking for another one... and another.
The Pimento Cheese
Now we love homemade Old Fashioned Pimento Cheese and our Spicy and Smoky Pimento Cheese is a reader favorite, for sure. So, if you have time, or if you have a bit leftover (we never do) you can certainly make these apps with your homemade version. If you want to dish up something with a little kick, this Pepper Jack Pimento Cheese is great in these!
The Bacon Bits
Again, we love the fresh flavor you get when making your own bacon bits. So much easier than cooking strips of bacon and then crumbling is our method.
It's described in more detail in our Shrimp & Grits recipe post. This is definitely a step you can do in advance. Just cook the bacon bits and keep them in a sealed bag (refrigerated if it will be more than a couple of hours).
If really pressed for time, though, use store bought bacon bits. We do recommend buying the ones labelled "recipe pieces" as the ones called "bits" tend to be tiny.
Pimento cheese appetizers in a snap
It's seriously so easy to make these.
- Set desired number of phyllo cups on a baking pan or cookie sheet.
- Fill each phyllo cup with about 1 teaspoon of pimento cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven, sprinkling with the bacon when there is about 3-5 minutes left on your timer.
- Pull out and garnish.
If you're on the hunt for homemade southern appetizers for the person who doesn't cook you'll also want to try Marinated Mozzarella Pearls. They're super easy!
More recipes with phyllo cups
We love phyllo cups and use them often for bite sized desserts and appetizers. If you're as big a fan as we are be sure to check out these ideas:
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad (it's Buffalo Style and a spoonful in a phyllo shell is perfection!)
- Lemon Custard Cheesecake Bites
- Goat Cheese & Roasted Tomato Bites
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Mini's
- Two Bite Coconut Tarts
Notes about how many to make:
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on an affiliate link and buy something, we may receive a very small commission. It does NOT result in additional charges to you or cost you anything extra. Click here for our full privacy and disclosure policy. As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Phyllo cups generally come in a package of 15. We like to make at least 3 of these pimento cheese appetizers per person. Of course, it will depend on the rest of your menu.
If making a meal off just appetizers you may want to figure 4-5 per person. If you have several other snacks before a big meal, maybe only 2 per person, but we never make that few. They're so good. Everyone will be reaching for "just one more".
For a fun and quick look at this recipe watch the Google Web Story!
Pimento Cheese Appetizers
- Place phyllo cups on baking sheet.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon pimento cheese into each phyllo cup.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits.
- Bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish, if desired, with green onion and/or parsley.
- Serve while warm.