This easy baked potato soup comes together effortlessly using baked potatoes and is just the way you like it when garnished with all of your favorite toppings.
I don't know what's happening with the weather where you live, but here we seem to have skipped right over fall and headed straight into winter. Being a Georgia girl born and raised, cold weather is not my favorite, so I'm always looking for ways to warm up.
When it comes to food, that means soup! Potato soup is one of those things you'd have to be crazy not to like. Our version is easy, too, and you can make your bowl as "loaded" as you like it!
Equally easy and perfect for cool weather is Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Soup. It's a favorite around fall holidays.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to go to our full privacy and disclosure policy.
This recipe really couple not be more simple. Basically, you're going to bake a few potatoes and scoop out the insides. Then, cook the bacon and set it aside. If you want to add some kick, try adding Peppered Bacon instead.Cook some green onions in the bacon grease and set those aside, too.
Then add butter, flour, milk, and the potato and mash it all together. (Click over here to get to a full page of potato mashers). Toss in some cheddar cheese, the bacon, and the green onions, and you have easy baked potato soup!
Let's be honest. The only reason you might order a baked potato to go with your meal is because you're thinking about those topping you want on it. Are you a cheese only sort of person? Butter and sour cream?
If you're like me, you go all the way... cheddar cheese, green onions, bacon, and sour cream. You can customize your bowl of potato soup the same way, so be sure to set out lots of options so everyone can dress it up to their liking.
Love soup and salad like we do? This beautiful Salad with Marinated Asparagus and Oranges goes perfectly with a bowl of soup. Asiago Cheese & Black Pepper Biscuits are absolutely yummy with this or any soup.
As always, if you make this easy baked potato soup recipe, let us know what you think in the comments below and snap a picture so you can tag us on Instagram @biscuitsandburlap!
This recipe made our top 10 of 2018. Click over here to see them all.
For a fun look at this recipe check out the Google Web Story.
Easy Potato Soup Recipe
- Cook bacon pieces (lardons) over medium high heat in dutch oven until done. Set aside to drain on paper towels. Spoon out any bacon grease in excess of approximately 2 Tablespoons.
- Dice bottom ⅓ of green onions and saute' in bacon grease until limp. Set aside.
- Add butter and melt over medium heat. Stir in flour. Add milk, whisking for 4-5 more minutes.
- Add scooped potatoes and mash with a potato masher or large spoon until most, but not all, of the lumps are mashed out.
- Add 1 cup cheese, onion and ½ of the bacon and stir until cheese is melted. The soup can simmer a while at this point or is ready to eat.
- Garnish with remaining bacon, additional chopped green onions and additional cheese.