Banana Buttermilk Pancakes have toasted pecans and an optional splash of something special. You’ll have them on the breakfast table in no time!
Fluffy pancakes with all of your favorite flavors
Using ripe bananas in pancakes makes them moist and delicious just like when we add them to our Hummingbird Bread. Our favorite nuts are lightly toasted and give a fun southern style crunch to your pancakes. You can, of course, leave them out if you have folks with nut allergies.
For a truly unique, but subtle southern spin on these pancakes we have a fun substitute for vanilla. How about a little splash of bourbon?
It goes perfectly with the other flavors and we’ve always said we use bourbon like other people use vanilla. So, here you go. This is a great place to do just that, but if you prefer to use vanilla that’s fine too.
If you love the idea of bourbon and pecans in your pancakes then you must love our favorite cuisine too. For an in depth look we invite you to read Southern Food: Then and Now.
Quickly stir up fluffy Banana Buttermilk Pancakes
The key to doing that? One of our favorite timesavers in the kitchen is self-rising flour. We use it All. The. Time. Don’t believe us? Just check out these Easy Buttermilk Biscuits and Hummingbird Bread.
Self rising flour takes the place of all purpose flour and the baking powder or baking soda and salt that makes your baked goods rise. It’s all blended perfectly together for you just to save you and me some time.
To make sure you get notified of our new recipes you’ll want to sign up here. We promise never to share your information with a third party.
Our best tips for making banana pancakes
- Easily mash your ripe bananas by placing in a zip loc baggie and “squish” with your hands. (good clean fun)
- Toast the chopped pecans for 5-7 minutes in a 350 degree oven. It really brings out the flavor.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop the batter. You’ll have consistently sized pancakes this way.
- Flip the pancakes when bubbles start to form on the top.
For a fun way to serve your Banana Buttermilk Pancakes sprinkle the plate with a few slices of banana and some pecan halves, and of course, maple syrup or your favorite flavor of syrup.
Banana Buttermilk Pancakes with Pecans
- Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix banana, buttermilk, egg and bourbon or vanilla.
- Blend banana mixture into dry ingredients just until well blended.
- Stir in melted butter and pecans.
- Drop by ¼ cupful into lightly oiled or sprayed skillet that has been heated to medium.
- Cook until bubbles form on surface and then flip, cooking until lightly browned.