Southern Style baked beans have brown sugar and bacon and will become your go-to recipe. They’re the best you’ve ever tasted!
Are baked beans really southern style?
Well, the answer to that is… I’m not sure. Here in the south most everyone adds bacon to their baked beans and maybe that makes them southern. If it’s Vidalian onion season I would certainly use those and they would no doubt make them southern.
But, Boston Baked Beans are very popular too, and a search through several recipes doesn’t reveal much difference to our southern style ones. To further complicate matters, there is much argument over the origin of baked beans. Some say they’re from South America, some say Europe and some say they’re Native American.
Whatever the case, this baked beans recipe with bacon is the best you will ever try.
Baked Beans go well with what?
To begin with, they are a natural side dish with barbecue of any sort. In fact, we like to add a little barbecue sauce to ours, and that really kicks them up a notch and makes it a match made in heaven.
Another favorite that dates back to when I was a young girl growing up in the south is ham. Of course, we even cook our ham outdoors. Have you seen our Smoked Ham on the Big Green Egg?
Speaking of growing up in the south, you’ll want to read our article Southern Food Then and Now. It’s a fun look at traditions, ingredients and even a peek into the future.
What kind of beans are actually in this baked beans recipe with bacon?
We do start with baked beans already in the can. If you want to go all out, you can make yours from scratch. This recipe from A Mindfull Mom looks pretty awesome.
While we do use canned baked beans as the basis for this recipe, we highly recommend starting with a good quality. Bush’s Best Original or Homestyle is hands down our favorite.
Are you getting our weekly newsletters? That’s the easiest way to make sure you don’t miss any recipes, and you can sign up right here. We promise to treat you like family.
THIS RECIPE MADE OUR “BEST OF THE YEAR” LIST. THE OTHERS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
Baked Beans Recipe with Bacon
- 3 strips bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 small-medium onion diced
- 2 28 ounce cans Bush's Best Homestyle or Original Baked Beans drain off about half of liquid.
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Cook chopped bacon in skillet over medium heat until done and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon leaving baon grease in skillet.
- Cook diced onion until transluscent and limp, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir onion, bacon and all remaining ingredients together and pour into a 9 inch by 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes.
If you make this or any of our recipes we’d love for you to leave us a comment and star rating. If you’re into sharing your creations, snap a photo and tag us when you post it to Facebook or Instagram.